Friday 9 April 2010

Chai tea or just Chai????

My very good Indian friend rolled her eyes whenever someone asked for a "Chai tea." Chai means tea. Every time she overheard people asking for one she felt like telling them how wrong they were.

While the days are becoming warmer the evenings are still cool and sometimes chilly. If you fancy something different from coffee, Chai is an excellent alternative. Most of the menus -at least in Canada- would still say "Chai tea" but you know that it's wrong. The best can be found in the Indian restaurants, widely spread in Canada, the USA and England.

I swear it's delicious. My friend used to use it as an excuse to get me to do anything; including marching to the US Consulate in February 2003 to protest against the Iraq invasion. We were at -10C (or less), the ground was covered on snow and the cold wind was slapping our faces. Still, I went there with her, stood side by side with our fellow protesters, chanted with them and once it was over, ran to my friend's house to collect my prize. A delicious home-made Chai.

No comments:

Post a Comment